Blink and Caution is our January Undercover read, the first of 2012, and it's best described as a roller-coaster thriller noir crime. You can read the first chapter here.
We asked Tim Wynne-Jones what it was that inspired him to write the book. Here's what he had to say:
We asked Tim Wynne-Jones what it was that inspired him to write the book. Here's what he had to say:
In the fall of 2008, two ideas wrestled for my writerly attention: a story, tentatively entitled Glide, about a girl who steals her drug-dealer boyfriend’s money and tries to kick-start her life in a new city. And this other story I called Push, about a street kid who only wants breakfast and ends up in an uptown hotel witnessing something that gets him in way over his head in a fraudulent scheme. I decided on the second one. By the time I sent it to me editor the book was called Blink.
And yes, it was a rather slim book… curiously, about half the size of Blink & Caution.
My editor liked it…a bit. But she thought Blink might need a friend. That isn’t exactly what she said, but that’s what I got out of it. And that’s kind of when the penny dropped: that “other book” I had thought about writing some time was really part of the same book! Ta Da! And so Caution was born. (I mean the character Caution.) I started weaving together the stories of these two kids getting them closer and closer to meeting, which they finally do about halfway through the adventure.
Blink was inspired by some strong feelings I have about street people. Let’s face it, every person who lives on the street used to live somewhere else. Each of them had a home, bad as it might have been. And the thing is not every street kid came from a bad home, either; something I know from personal experience. (No, not me, but someone close.) Every street kid has a story.
I always write to discover.
Speaking of writing to discover, Tim's written a great post all about that, which we'll put up in a few days.

Comments - none so far...
Post a Comment